Friday, February 4, 2011

Silly-Bad-Luck= Confidence Booster?

One of my many silly bad luck stories...

So as I have mentioned before I have silly amounts of bad luck. I had an incident the other day I thought I would share.

I woke up nice and early to go get some cross training in at the LA Fitness in Uptown. First of all getting up early is tough especially when you live in the Minnesota winter (aka hell). Also, the gym I belong to is about 15 minutes from my house. From bed to machine it takes about half an hour (ugghhrhrhh). I was so proud of myself for getting there before work…. Good thing I forgot one minor detail.


MY TENNIS SHOES. Um, okay ……..


So I stood in the locker room contemplating my options.
  1. Go all the way home without a workout and be crabby about it
  2. Try to speed down to CPY and make it there before C2 starts
  3. Workout on the elliptical… in my Ugg slippers

I chose number 3.

 I got plenty of goofy looks. The best part about it was I pretended it was completely normal. Every time someone looked at me confused or just flat out laughed at me I would look at them with a, “Okay weirdo, never seen a girl get her elliptical on before? “ look and then they would awkwardly walk away. It was actually quite entertaining to me and made the 55 minutes on the elliptical wiz by (that thing can be so boring).

I then came to work, on time, with a good workout in sans tennis shoes. I thought about it and wondered what most other (normal people) would have done in my situation and I figured many would go home due to embarrassment. I am tough to embarrass. Plus, I think I embarrassed the weirdo’s looking at me! Which leads me to the moral of the story:

 If you act embarrassed and or unsure of yourself everyone can read that. If you act confident no matter what you do others will feel that and your outcome will be success. i.e. I did not act embarrassed, got an awesome workout in and made other people thing Uggs were the new tennis shoe.

I use this mentality when marathon training. People always tell me I am nuts. For example, when I go out for a night on the town including quite a few cocktails and have to run 22 miles the next morning, everyone tells me how nuts I am (maybe so). BUT I am confident that regardless of my state the next day I WILL run those 22 miles. Guess what? I have every single time. Who is the weirdo now?!?! (probs still me).

Confidence is key in marathon training and I am instilling that in my mind for my next one. I will get my PR and if you think I am crazy… you’re crazy. (It’s okay, I am too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment